Updated: Jan 14, 2022
Jumpsuits have enjoyed popularity for decades, albeit for different reasons. They were created for parachuters with a completely utilitarian purpose, hence the name “jumpsuit.” But through the years, the humble jumpsuit has become a wardrobe staple thanks to its practicality and versatility. It’s a garment every modern woman should get to enjoy.
After WWI, the jumpsuit was brought into the fashion realm by Elsa Schiaparelli. Her green silk version with large front pockets was warmly received but wasn’t widely produced due to the onset of WWII. But jumpsuits served a very practical purpose during the war as thousands of women donned workwear versions to support the war effort in factories domestically while men fought overseas.
The jumpsuit again spiked in popularity during the 60s and 70s as Cher and Elvis set the style tone. Every disco dance floor was filled with glitzy polyester jumpsuits. The benefits of having such a versatile garment cemented the jumpsuit’s popularity. It is now considered a classic piece even if the style and fabric choices may change through the seasons.
Why Buy a Jumpsuit?
If you’re not already a devoted fan of the jumpsuit, you should be. Here’s why:
• Effortless – rather than spending an hour selecting several pieces of clothing as an outfit, the jumpsuit is step-in, readymade style.
• Versatile – A well-made jumpsuit in quality material can go from slide deck presentation to night out with a simple change of accessories.
• Downsize – Owning a jumpsuit is perfect for environmentally-conscious fashionistas who believe a paired-down closet is better for the earth. The less clothing production that harms our water and air, the better.
• Flattering – A jumpsuit gives even the most challenging body types a longer, leaner silhouette. It makes petite women look taller, and flatters curvier bodies as well.
• Movement – Wearing separates can sometimes become a full-time job if they aren’t cut well. If you’re constantly adjusting and tucking, a jumpsuit solves this problem and gives freedom of movement without having to fuss with your outfit.
How to Choose the Perfect Jumpsuit
Now that you’ve decided to take advantage of the effortless style a jumpsuit can provide, you need to find one that is perfect for your body type. Here are some things to look for:
• Classic style. The simpler the style, the easier it will be to dress it up or down.
• Tailoring. Look for a jumpsuit that is cut well. A thoughtful designer will consider the torso length so it not only fits taller bodies but won’t pinch at the crotch when you sit down.
• Roomy. Make sure there is enough fabric in the bottom half of the jumpsuit to accommodate your body movement. If it pinches your thighs when you walk, try going up a size. The same goes for your arms. Raise your arms while wearing the jumpsuit. It is well-crafted if it doesn’t pinch at the shoulders or crotch and will be comfortable enough to wear all day in the office and all night on the town.
• Fabric. High-quality material will be comfortable all year round and easy to maintain.
Adding a jumpsuit to your wardrobe is the smart, fashionable choice. Just make sure to follow these simple tips for a timeless piece you’ll enjoy for years to come.