Ah, yes. The yearly dilemma of dressing for “in-between” seasons. Winter dressing is easy; simply pile on the layers until you’re warm enough. But what about those spring days with weather fluctuating 10 degrees?
The shops are filled with new arrivals, and it’s tempting to buy an entirely new spring wardrobe. But most of us will add a couple of pieces to brighten up our main wardrobe. Believe it or not, a couple of pieces may be all you need to weather the changing of seasons with style. The key is to wear your basics strategically by layering them.
Here are our best transitioning tips:
• Just bought a sweet spring dress? No need to wait on warm weather to show it off. Layer it by putting on a long-sleeved top underneath and pairing it with tights and your favorite ankle boots.
• Wear a swing dress with a short jacket and tall boots. Add a colorful scarf for flourish.
• Pair a long dress with flat boots and a wrap sweater. Wear your hair swept up and add a long, chunky necklace. This brilliant sweater can also be worn as a shawl or scarf when the temperature drops.
• Expertly navigate cool mornings and hot afternoons by wearing a tank top under a cardigan. Top it off with a smart blazer jacket.
• Get versatility out of a jumpsuit by adding a chic jacket and chunky heeled mules.
More transitioning secrets:
- The key to transitioning is balance. Avoid mixing a heavy winter jacket with a light floral dress or an eyelet top with tall winter boots. Add layers thoughtfully, and you’ll begin to get a feel for the right combinations.
- Layering is the way to go but remember to keep the layers light. Use lighter sweaters, knits, cardigans, and long-sleeved tops. Switch to a light denim jacket instead of a heavier wool one.
- On warmer days, switch out boots for closed-toe mules or sling-back sandals and jeans. Top it with a pretty tailored sweater to add interest.
- Choose lighter colors and begin favoring a spring palette. Instead of your favorite navy sweatshirt, choose a cream or pink one. Switch to lighter denim jeans or tailored pants.
- Try wearing flowy dresses with tights and booties or fun leather sneakers. It’s the juxtaposition that makes this work.
- Not ready to let go of that burgundy sweater yet in favor of pink? Try wearing it with white jeans and a floral scarf. Choose warm-colored pants to liven up that favorite black cardigan.
Using your existing wardrobe basics, a few spring pieces, and colorful accessories will get you through to warmer days ahead.
Stylish Basics Made in Canada
Looking for classic pieces that work in all four seasons? Purestform.ca has high-quality basics designed and manufactured in Canada. Their great-fitting, tailored pieces will help you transition not just the seasons but will last for many years to come. Click here to shop now!